The holiday season is officially here, so when my December Play! by Sephora box arrived this week it felt like an extra gift—even though, like periods and full moons, it happens every month. As I expected, the December box was holiday themed, with a cute Art Deco design on the brochure:
1. MORE NEW POKÉMON! Can you tell I’m excited?! 50 new monsters were released in Pokémon Go just two weeks ago, and yesterday they dropped 20 more. I didn’t know an additional release was coming, so when I opened my app and saw the announcement screen I immediately put my shoes and coat on and went out to hunt some new Pokémon down. I managed to catch four new ones on my first outing with the new batch. I also encountered a fifth new release, but he ran away from me. I’ll get you yet, Delibird!
2. Super Mario Odyssey: we bought this game to play on our new Nintendo Switch and it’s a lot of fun! I have a soft spot for Mario games because those are the ones I was the most into when I was a kid, though I’ve never been much of a gamer. I’m still adjusting to playing videos games where you can control the camera and your perspective (which shows you how long it’s been since I played), but Mario brings out alllll the nostalgia in me. In an early level, you can become a T-rex and run around smashing shit. Who doesn’t love that? And there are even sections of the game that are throwbacks to the original Super Mario Bros!
1. Pokémon Go Gen 3: it’s finally here!!! The new generations of monsters was released last Friday afternoon and as soon as I noticed the release, I went out to try and catch ’em all! This pic shows the first six Gen 3 Pokémon that I caught on that stroll, and I’ve added nine additional new ones to my Pokédex. I believe they released 50, so I still have a ways to go!
I haven’t posted about this in awhile, but because it’s holiday gift giving season I thought it would be a good time to mention that the soy wax candles I sell on Etsy are great little gifts!
My Etsy store is called Zoe Walter Candles, where I sell a collection of scented soy wax candles in tins. The collection includes twelve scents—each inspired by a different month of the year. For example, my December candle will infuse your home with the aromas of a Christmas tree.
I hand craft these candles in batches of three right at home in my kitchen. Because I make such small batches, inventory is limited. The candles are $15 apiece (shipping not included). There’s still time to get your order in before Christmas!
Thanks in advance for your support, and happy holidays to you!
Happy holidays to me: my 21st Stitch Fix arrived on Friday evening! I couldn’t take photos on Saturday because we got our first snow of the season that day and the light in the apartment was too dreary. I enlisted my husband to photograph me on Sunday, so he gets photo credit. 🙂
You may remember that my last Stitch Fix was a bust, but the colors in my stack of clothing were promising this time: some jewel tones, a metallic, and a floral print!
1. Nintendo Switch: let me preface this by saying that I am not a gamer in any way (I don’t say that to disparage gamers). I get frustrated and give up really easily and the last console I legitimately tried to play video games on was the Nintendo 64, which came out when I was in college 20 years ago. My brother-in-law brought his Switch to DC over Thanksgiving so I tried playing Zelda on it…and I was surprised to find myself enjoying it. My husband and I just got a Switch of our very own, with two games to start: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. We’ll see how long it takes for me to get bored with the Switch…hopefully MUCH longer than usual.
Happy December! I can’t believe this year is almost over already…in the meantime, here is this week’s Friday Five.
1. View from the Newseum: this past Monday, my mom and I visited this museum dedicated to all things news. The museum is huge! To be honest, I wasn’t super into the exhibits, but the museum has a sixth floor patio with an amazing view of the National Mall and the Capitol Building. That was definitely my favorite part of the place!
I finally received my Sephora VIB sale goodies in the mail yesterday, so now I can post about my haul! Going into the sale, I already had some thoughts about what I wanted to buy, but I strayed somewhat from that list for various reasons.
The Sephora store closest to me is fairly small and doesn’t carry absolutely everything, so I split my haul into two phases. On the first day of the 20% off sale, I went to my local Sephora and bought a few items there…then a couple days later I ordered a few more things online.
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving with friends and family! I know I did. 🙂
1. Brooklyn Orchids 2018 Calendar: shameless plug alert! Each year I create a calendar using my own photographs of orchids (if you’re new here, I have a blog about orchids called…Brooklyn Orchids). This 12-month calendar is available for $24.90 in my Brooklyn Orchids Zazzle store, so if you know anyone who’s really into orchids or loves pretty pictures of flowers, my calendar would make a nice holiday gift. Hot tip: Zazzle very frequently offers discounts, especially during the holidays, so you most likely won’t have to pay full price as long as you enter their current promo code at checkout. I’m pretty sure there will be Black Friday and Cyber Monday promo codes, so the next few days will be a great time to order your calendar!
I went to NYC last Saturday through this Tuesday, and when I got back to DC my November Play! by Sephora box was waiting for me. What a fun welcome home! This month’s theme is “Survival of the Chillest,” so Sephora sent a collection of samples intended to help you treat yourself and practice self-care before the full force of holiday season hits. The “It’s Me O’Clock” sack containing this month’s samples was so cute that I had to photograph it with a couple of my crystals, which felt appropriate for November’s theme: