1. Nocking Point Wine Club: I signed up for this club months ago and received my first shipment in March, then completely forgot to post about it because I’ve had so many DC-related things to share each week! Nocking Point is Stephen Amell‘s winery (you might know him as Oliver Queen on Arrow*) and it offers a wine club shipment for $100 per quarter. So every three months, members receive a selection of the winery’s wines, plus NP coffee beans and gear. For my first shipment I received three wines (a sparkling, a Malbec, and a Sauvignon Blanc), a bag of coffee beans, and a wine bottle insulator. So far I’ve consumed the coffee (tasty), the Malbec (pretty good), and used the insulator a couple of times. The June box will have Nerd HQ-branded rosé…and I can’t wait!
1. The Handmaid’s Tale: Hulu’s TV adaptation of the Margaret Atwood novel is simply stunning, disturbing…and terrifyingly relevant, given the current tenor of our world. The cinematography, direction, music, and above all, the acting, are top notch. The cast is jam-packed with incredible women: Elisabeth Moss, Ann Dowd, Yvonne Strahovski, Samira Wiley, and Alexis Bledel, to name just a few. I’m only three episodes in, but I’m hooked. Somehow I haven’t read the book yet, but it’s en route to my house and I’ll be diving in as soon as it arrives.
1. The Good Place: I saw a premiere of the pilot episode at the show’s SDCC panel last summer and really enjoyed it. What I said when I posted my Comic-Con recap was “I’m totally gonna watch the show when it premieres.” But a case of Too Much Good TV got in the way and my husband and I didn’t get around to this show until recently. We’re only about halfway through the first season, but it’s a whole lot of fun! I have some theories about what’s going on, so I’m curious to see if my ideas actually pan out. I’m aware that there’s some big twist in the season finale, but I’ve managed to avoid spoilers about it.
I’m doing something a little different for my Friday Five this week. Literally all the blogs are filled with “best of” and “top 10” lists of the year, and because I’m such a TV nerd, I’m going to add one more to the fray. There’s only so much TV a girl can watch in this era of Peak TV so I’ve definitely missed out on some great shows, but here’s a list of my five favorite TV shows in 2016. Spoilers ahead…. Continue reading
1. Westworld: I know I’ve included this show in a previous Friday Five, but I was so into it that now that season one has ended I have to mention it again. The show certainly isn’t perfect, but I felt utterly transported every time I watched it and I can’t wait to see what season two has in store for us…in 2018 (AGH! So far away!)
1. Easy Vegetarian Ramen: my husband and I were both a little under the weather last weekend so on Sunday I made us a hearty, soothing batch of vegetarian ramen using this recipe from A Couple Cooks. I used bok choy as the greens, and for a little extra flavor I threw in a packet of Kikkoman tofu-spinach miso dried soup mix that we’ve had in our cupboard forever. I omitted the radishes and sweet peppers, but we both really liked this soup and thought it was a very good first homemade ramen effort!
Quick note: I may or may not post a Friday Five for the next two weeks, because I’ll be on vacation. If I don’t, this feature will return when I do. 🙂
1. Rainbow Bagel: this week I discovered that my local bagel shop, Terrace Bagels, has added rainbow bagels to their lineup. While they’re not quite as rainbow-y in appearance as the OG rainbow bagel from The Bagel Store in Williamsburg, they still make eating a bagel that much more fun.
1. Mr. Robot‘s Parking Lot: if you watch Mr. Robot, the image below will look very familiar to you. Until recently, I didn’t realize that it’s located near where I exit the subway in Manhattan for my weekly volunteer shift. Last week when I emerged from the F train station at 16th Street and 6th Avenue, the lot was one of the first PokeStops that activated in my Pokemon Go app. So thanks, Pokemon Go, for alerting me to the location of this lot! 🙂
1. Stranger Things: I binge-watched this new Netflix show on my own in two days this week and have already begun re-watching it, with my husband this time. I could go on about this show all day, but instead I’ll simply say that if you grew up in the 80s, this show is a must-watch; it’s basically a love letter to all the things so many of us enjoyed as kids. #DustinIsTheNewChunk
Well, Comic-Con 2016 has ended and I’m back in Brooklyn, finally starting to feel like I’ve readjusted to normal life. As an introvert it really does take time for me to re-energize after such an intense string of days around so many people and so much stimuli. See?