A Food-Forward Friday Five
1. Houdini Kitchen Laboratory: last Friday I took Amtrak to NYC for a fun weekend with girlfriends. That evening we went to this pizzeria in the Ridgewood neighborhood of Queens. We were having such a good time catching up that I forgot to take pics, so the below photo is from the NY Times’ review of the place. Decor-wise I’d call it Rustic Hipster Cool. The pizzas are quite tasty, though mine—the Camorra—was a little soggy in the middle. Depending on where you live or are staying, Houdini isn’t necessarily convenient, but it’s a solid spot to check out if you’re up for a bit of a commute.
Image Credit: Cassandra Giraldo for The New York Times
Spring in Full Swing
1. May Bullet Journal Spread: I can’t believe it’s May already…that means that I turn 40 next month. WHAT?! Anyway, I tried drawing some crystals freehand on my May monthly spread and they turned out…okay. Not too terrible for my first crystal-drawing effort, though!
I’m not 100% finished talking about my Grand Cayman vacation just yet. 🙂 Actually, this post is not so much about the trip as it is about the makeup that I brought with me to paint my face. I’m pretty proud of this little flat lay I did of my travel products, so I wanted to share it:
No plumeria flowers were harmed for this pic; I picked up fallen blossoms from the ground.
Because I’m not ready to let our vacation go yet, this week’s Friday Five is all Grand Cayman-related!
1. Grand Cayman Souvenirs: I have a shotglass collection, so of course I bought a couple to add to it—one general Cayman Islands, one Hell. And we have a turtle collection so I bought this adorable carved stone turtle from the Cayman Turtle Center.
I’ll jump right in to Part 2 of my Grand Cayman vacation recap! In case you missed Part 1, check it out here.
It’s cold here in Washington DC, but I’m staying warm by drinking hot chocolate and wrapping myself in fond memories of our recent vacation in Grand Cayman! Of course I took a ton of photos during our week on the island, so I’ll be doing a two-part recap here. Part 1 commences in 3…2…1… [LONG POST WARNING!]
1. Manhattan Skyline: my husband I went to Brooklyn earlier this week to attend a belated holiday party and we stayed at a hotel in Williamsburg. Because we were so close to the East River, I strolled over to Bushwick Inlet Park to take in the skyline across the river—a view that just never gets old.
1. Brooklyn Bridge: last weekend my husband and I returned to NYC for a few nights—it was my first time back there since we moved to DC in February! We stayed at the New York Marriott at the Brooklyn Bridge, which is so close to the pedestrian entrance to the bridge that I couldn’t NOT walk over it. Amazingly, I only walked the Brooklyn Bridge once in the fifteen years I lived in NYC, so I made it a point to do so again as a visitor. I went to the bridge this past Monday afternoon, and though it was a little chilly and overcast it was still a wonderful, quintessentially New York thing to do, and I enjoyed my stroll very much.
I’m pleased to report that I returned from this year’s San Diego Comic-Con feeling much happier than I did last year! The 2016 con was pretty rough for me, and by the end of it I felt like I didn’t know how many more of these I could take. Fortunately 2017 turned out to be way better, even though the exhibit hall mostly looked like this:
ALL THE PEOPLE ALL THE TIME
I can’t believe Comic-Con 2017 is already upon us—it begins this Thursday! As I mentioned, this will be my ninth consecutive year (check out my updated SDCC tips for newbies if you haven’t already seen them). As with the last couple of years, I put together a bingo game for my group of friends to play as we experience the sights, sounds, butt cracks, and—yes—smells of the con.
There’s no *actual* prize for getting bingo, but it certainly bestows bragging rights upon you. If you’re going with a group, feel free to offer a prize for the winner within your own group of Comic-Con buddies!
Mark the squares off as you spot them, and when you get bingo feel free to take a pic and post to Instagram and/or Twitter and tag it: #SDCCBingo
Download Comic-Con 2017 Bingo
Have a great time at #SDCC2017, nerds! 🙂
This bingo game is in no way affiliated with San Diego Comic-Con or the San Diego Convention Center. I’m just a nerd looking to have a little fun with other nerds.