1. Nocking Point Wine Club: I signed up for this club months ago and received my first shipment in March, then completely forgot to post about it because I’ve had so many DC-related things to share each week! Nocking Point is Stephen Amell‘s winery (you might know him as Oliver Queen on Arrow*) and it offers a wine club shipment for $100 per quarter. So every three months, members receive a selection of the winery’s wines, plus NP coffee beans and gear. For my first shipment I received three wines (a sparkling, a Malbec, and a Sauvignon Blanc), a bag of coffee beans, and a wine bottle insulator. So far I’ve consumed the coffee (tasty), the Malbec (pretty good), and used the insulator a couple of times. The June box will have Nerd HQ-branded rosé…and I can’t wait!
1. A Day Without a Woman: the weather was lovely on Wednesday so I took a stroll to explore a bit of DC. As I walked past the Supreme Court, I heard voices over loudspeakers and some cheering coming from the direction of the U.S. Capitol so I headed that way. A rally was just coming to a close and there was a sea of people on the lawn. The crowd was mostly women wearing red, in honor of International Women’s Day and to demonstrate economic solidarity. I happened to be wearing a red shirt, so I totally blended in. Although I arrived at the tail end of the rally, I was happy that I got to participate even the slightest bit…especially because I did my husband’s laundry that morning so I completely failed at the whole “don’t do any paid or unpaid labor” strike that women were encouraged to engage in on March 8. This was the second time recently that I accidentally ended up at a rally/protest! “The Accidental Protestor”…I might be on to something here. 😛
I’m kinda phoning my Friday Five in this week because we’re moving on Monday! I can’t do anything beyond listing out my five new favorite Pokémon that have recently been released into the wild. Because I’ve had to run around a lot lately, I’ve already caught 20 of the 80 new Pokémon, and I evolved an Eevee into the beautiful new Espeon!
1. Teddiursa: his name is adorable and I love the crescent on his forehead. Apparently he’s categorized as an “uncommon” Pokémon but I’ve caught two of them.
1. US Capitol: we went down to DC for a few days this week (so we could get our new apartment keys!!). My husband had meetings on Monday and it was a beautiful day out, so I took a walk from the Navy Yard up to the Capitol. Despite everything that’s going on with the
dumpster of deplorables administration, the buildings and monuments in our nation’s capitol remain an admirable sight to behold.
Happy Friday the 13th, all! May this traditionally unlucky day bring good things your way. 🙂
1. Surprise Snowstorm: no one seemed to have any idea that we were going to get several inches of snow last weekend! My husband and I ventured out for a little walk, and our neighborhood was just gorgeous. The snow is mostly melted now; all that remains is some gross slush.
For my final Friday Five in a year I think we’re all ready to set afloat and shoot a flaming arrow at, I’m going to retain a bit of positivity and list five of my favorite things from 2016.
1. Our Los Angeles Vacation: we had some lovely times traveling in the LA and Palm Springs area early this year. We stayed in Hermosa Beach, fed lorikeets at the aquarium in Long Beach, enjoyed stunning vistas in Palos Verdes and Abalone Cove Shoreline Park, and had some fun times with friends and family. We also managed some quality relaxation time by the pool in Palm Desert and visited Joshua Tree National Park (the first of three national parks we went to this year!). If I had to pick a favorite part of this trip, I think I’d say Joshua Tree. National parks are a precious thing and it’s always special to visit them.
I’m doing something a little different for my Friday Five this week. Literally all the blogs are filled with “best of” and “top 10” lists of the year, and because I’m such a TV nerd, I’m going to add one more to the fray. There’s only so much TV a girl can watch in this era of Peak TV so I’ve definitely missed out on some great shows, but here’s a list of my five favorite TV shows in 2016. Spoilers ahead…. Continue reading