Happy New Year, everyone! This is a big year for me: I turn 40 in June, and my fifth wedding anniversary is in July. Plus, I’ll be attending my tenth consecutive San Diego Comic-Con. I’m sending out good vibes for a more positive year—not just for me, but for everyone on the planet!
1. Pitch Perfect 3: my husband and I went to see this movie last weekend—the first time I’ve seen a Pitch Perfect in the theater! Not surprisingly, it wasn’t as good as the first two, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it and bought the soundtrack from iTunes the next day. I can’t get enough of these a cappella ladies!
Well, I thought I was finished with blogging for the year…but then I realized that I did a lot of cool stuff in 2017 so I decided to put together a list of personal favorites from the year. We moved to Washington DC at the end of February and I started exploring my new city quite a bit—something I honestly didn’t really do a whole lot of in the 15 years I lived in New York City. I feel a lot less anxious in DC and tend to feel like getting out more…it’s like a huge weight has lifted. Suffice to say, I’m generally happier living in DC now, though I do miss my friends in NYC!
It ended up being pretty hard to distill this list into a manageable year-end roundup, because there was actually SO MUCH to choose from!*
Here goes…my own personal highlights of 2017.
NYC BUCKET LIST ITEM
Getting drinks at the Rainbow Room’s bar before we moved to DC. You just can’t beat the view from the 65th floor of Rockefeller Center in the middle of Manhattan, and it was a fitting way to begin closing out our time in the city.
Well, we’ve arrived at my final Friday Five of 2017! This has been a big year for me personally (see my Instagram Best Nine slide show)…but globally it’s been a raging dumpster fire of a disaster. Here’s hoping 2018 is full of real progress.
Because this is most likely my last post of 2017, before I jump into today’s five things I want to wish you all a very happy, healthy, and safe New Year’s. Cheers to great things in 2018!
1. The Last Jedi: my husband and I went to see the new Star Wars movie last Saturday night (in a theater with new reclining seats!) and we both really enjoyed it. I won’t spoil anything here, but I will say that Adam Driver is so super intense in the best way. Daisy Ridley also did phenomenal work—and on top of that, she has the most flawless skin in any galaxy. It’s so heartening to see heroic people of color in the main cast of a gigantic movie. And this gif of Chewie and a Porg is my new favorite moment ever.
1. MORE NEW POKÉMON! Can you tell I’m excited?! 50 new monsters were released in Pokémon Go just two weeks ago, and yesterday they dropped 20 more. I didn’t know an additional release was coming, so when I opened my app and saw the announcement screen I immediately put my shoes and coat on and went out to hunt some new Pokémon down. I managed to catch four new ones on my first outing with the new batch. I also encountered a fifth new release, but he ran away from me. I’ll get you yet, Delibird!
Clockwise from top left: Snorunt, Roselia, Seedot, Delibird, Spheal
2. Super Mario Odyssey: we bought this game to play on our new Nintendo Switch and it’s a lot of fun! I have a soft spot for Mario games because those are the ones I was the most into when I was a kid, though I’ve never been much of a gamer. I’m still adjusting to playing videos games where you can control the camera and your perspective (which shows you how long it’s been since I played), but Mario brings out alllll the nostalgia in me. In an early level, you can become a T-rex and run around smashing shit. Who doesn’t love that? And there are even sections of the game that are throwbacks to the original Super Mario Bros!
Jesus effing Christ, Pennywise.
My third annual 31 Days of Horror is now complete, so I compiled a list of all the films that I watched this October!
Two years ago I started doing 31 Days of Horror challenge in which I watched one horror movie every day in October. I had so much fun with it that I’m going to do it a third year in a row!
Basically me for the month of October.
I’m pleased to report that I returned from this year’s San Diego Comic-Con feeling much happier than I did last year! The 2016 con was pretty rough for me, and by the end of it I felt like I didn’t know how many more of these I could take. Fortunately 2017 turned out to be way better, even though the exhibit hall mostly looked like this:
ALL THE PEOPLE ALL THE TIME
After my husband and I moved to DC earlier this year, we remembered that during a May 2014 visit here we saw people walking around in costumes for a local Comic-Con. So we searched online to see what sort of nerdy convention we could go to here and found out that Awesome Con would be running from June 16-18, 2017. So we bought passes for Saturday, June 17 and turned yesterday into a little pre-San Diego Comic-Con geekout for ourselves!
I wore my Nerd HQ t-shirt and a cute robot superhero necklace that my brother gave me.
1. Wonder Woman: my husband and I went to see this movie last weekend and I totally loved it! I can’t say I knew much about the character going into the movie, but I’ve already ordered a couple comics and a book recommended by a friend who is a fan. Gal Gadot was absolute perfection in the role.* The movie was a lot funnier than I expected, which gave it more of a Marvel movie tone (I consider this to be a good thing). That scene—you know the one I’m talking about—the one where Wonder Woman appears on the battlefield in her full costume for the first time…was EPIC. Bad ass. Apparently that scene almost didn’t make it into the movie, and director Patty Jenkins had to fight for it to make the cut. WELL DONE!!
1. Logan: we went to the movies two Saturdays in a row! We never went to see movies on weekends in NYC—too much of a shitshow. We saw Logan at the Angelika Pop-Up at Union Market (cool theater, BTW) and holy shit, the movie was great. Ultra-violent and brutal, but in the best way.