My June 2017 Play! by Sephora box arrived last week but I’ve had trouble getting myself to sit down and write about it. It’s not that it was a bad batch of samples; I simply wasn’t overly excited about them, so it’s been harder to motivate myself to write this post. But here I am, making it happen on the final day of June!
1. tarte cosmetics Tight & Bright Multi-Mask: If you read my blog regularly you know how much I love tarte and face masks. So when the brand released this dual mask I simply had to have it in my arsenal! The purple mask is for detoxifying, exfoliating, and purifying, and the gold mask is for hydrating and firming. You can use each one all over your face, or you can spot treat using both simultaneously (hence the term “multi-mask”). How fun!!
1. Wonder Woman: my husband and I went to see this movie last weekend and I totally loved it! I can’t say I knew much about the character going into the movie, but I’ve already ordered a couple comics and a book recommended by a friend who is a fan. Gal Gadot was absolute perfection in the role.* The movie was a lot funnier than I expected, which gave it more of a Marvel movie tone (I consider this to be a good thing). That scene—you know the one I’m talking about—the one where Wonder Woman appears on the battlefield in her full costume for the first time…was EPIC. Bad ass. Apparently that scene almost didn’t make it into the movie, and director Patty Jenkins had to fight for it to make the cut. WELL DONE!!
I turned 39 yesterday and had a great day to kick off the final year of my 30s (OMG WHAT?!)! I started the day by going to the Starbucks on H Street to get a free birthday drink—a perk of being a Starbucks Rewards member. Here I am squinting into the sun with my (necessary) toasted coconut cold brew around 7:30am, when the temperature was already 78 degrees!
My May Play! by Sephora box showed up last week before I went on a mini-vacation, and I spent some time this week trying out my samples before sitting down to write about them. May’s theme is The Rising Stars: stellar “cult favorites, hard-to-find-formulas, and one-of-a-kind brands that are making their mark.”
1. Smithsonian Castle: I haven’t done any touristy DC stuff in a couple weeks, so yesterday morning I went to check out the gorgeous Smithsonian Castle for the first time. This was the Smithsonian Institution’s original building and it now serves as the main visitor center. There’s not a ton to see inside, but it’s pretty cool as a first stop if you want to learn a bit of history about the institution. It does contain a couple exhibits with pieces from the other Smithsonian museums, plus a cafe and a shop. Bonus: it’s surrounded by lovely gardens.
1. Nocking Point Wine Club: I signed up for this club months ago and received my first shipment in March, then completely forgot to post about it because I’ve had so many DC-related things to share each week! Nocking Point is Stephen Amell‘s winery (you might know him as Oliver Queen on Arrow*) and it offers a wine club shipment for $100 per quarter. So every three months, members receive a selection of the winery’s wines, plus NP coffee beans and gear. For my first shipment I received three wines (a sparkling, a Malbec, and a Sauvignon Blanc), a bag of coffee beans, and a wine bottle insulator. So far I’ve consumed the coffee (tasty), the Malbec (pretty good), and used the insulator a couple of times. The June box will have Nerd HQ-branded rosé…and I can’t wait!
1. The Handmaid’s Tale: Hulu’s TV adaptation of the Margaret Atwood novel is simply stunning, disturbing…and terrifyingly relevant, given the current tenor of our world. The cinematography, direction, music, and above all, the acting, are top notch. The cast is jam-packed with incredible women: Elisabeth Moss, Ann Dowd, Yvonne Strahovski, Samira Wiley, and Alexis Bledel, to name just a few. I’m only three episodes in, but I’m hooked. Somehow I haven’t read the book yet, but it’s en route to my house and I’ll be diving in as soon as it arrives.
Every year I look forward to the two Sephora VIB sales: each April, members get to take 15% off and in November, we get 20% off! The sale applies to everything in store and online, and is basically a feeding frenzy for beauty geeks like myself. I’ve done a pretty good job of restraining myself during these sales, but I ALWAYS take advantage of them because they’re too amazing to pass up!