The other day I posted about my winter morning skin care routine, and as promised I’m also sharing my current nighttime routine. You may notice some repeat products from my AM stash:
As I age I become even more interested in skin care, but I haven’t bothered to write a post about my morning and nighttime skin care routines…until now. My routines evolve fairly frequently, what with seasonal changes and the samples I receive (mostly via Play! by Sephora). Both of my skin care routines are currently pretty consistent, though, so I thought it’d be a good time to write about them.
Today I’m discussing my morning skin care routine in the dead of winter—a time of year that requires moisturizing the hell out of my skin. I live in Washington DC and even with a humidifier running in the apartment, our place is still quite dry. In this weather, my skin will definitely look and feel tight and dry if I use a lighter moisturizer instead of a heavier one, so I’ve adjusted my routine accordingly.
1. Manhattan Skyline: my husband I went to Brooklyn earlier this week to attend a belated holiday party and we stayed at a hotel in Williamsburg. Because we were so close to the East River, I strolled over to Bushwick Inlet Park to take in the skyline across the river—a view that just never gets old.
Happy New Year, everyone! This is a big year for me: I turn 40 in June, and my fifth wedding anniversary is in July. Plus, I’ll be attending my tenth consecutive San Diego Comic-Con. I’m sending out good vibes for a more positive year—not just for me, but for everyone on the planet!
1. Pitch Perfect 3: my husband and I went to see this movie last weekend—the first time I’ve seen a Pitch Perfect in the theater! Not surprisingly, it wasn’t as good as the first two, but I still enjoyed the hell out of it and bought the soundtrack from iTunes the next day. I can’t get enough of these a cappella ladies!
My husband and I don’t usually do much to celebrate the holidays, and we don’t get each other gifts like we do for birthdays. But our families send us gifts, and each year prior to Hanukkah (I was raised Jewish) my mom asks me for a gift list. This time around I took the opportunity to ask for some of the things I had considered buying myself during the Sephora VIB 20% off sale, among other items.
Now that Hanukkah is over and I’ve opened all of my gifts, I figured I might as well share them here! As you’ll see, I leaned heavily into the skin care product arena.
The holiday season is officially here, so when my December Play! by Sephora box arrived this week it felt like an extra gift—even though, like periods and full moons, it happens every month. As I expected, the December box was holiday themed, with a cute Art Deco design on the brochure:
1. MORE NEW POKÉMON! Can you tell I’m excited?! 50 new monsters were released in Pokémon Go just two weeks ago, and yesterday they dropped 20 more. I didn’t know an additional release was coming, so when I opened my app and saw the announcement screen I immediately put my shoes and coat on and went out to hunt some new Pokémon down. I managed to catch four new ones on my first outing with the new batch. I also encountered a fifth new release, but he ran away from me. I’ll get you yet, Delibird!
2. Super Mario Odyssey: we bought this game to play on our new Nintendo Switch and it’s a lot of fun! I have a soft spot for Mario games because those are the ones I was the most into when I was a kid, though I’ve never been much of a gamer. I’m still adjusting to playing videos games where you can control the camera and your perspective (which shows you how long it’s been since I played), but Mario brings out alllll the nostalgia in me. In an early level, you can become a T-rex and run around smashing shit. Who doesn’t love that? And there are even sections of the game that are throwbacks to the original Super Mario Bros!
1. Nintendo Switch: let me preface this by saying that I am not a gamer in any way (I don’t say that to disparage gamers). I get frustrated and give up really easily and the last console I legitimately tried to play video games on was the Nintendo 64, which came out when I was in college 20 years ago. My brother-in-law brought his Switch to DC over Thanksgiving so I tried playing Zelda on it…and I was surprised to find myself enjoying it. My husband and I just got a Switch of our very own, with two games to start: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. We’ll see how long it takes for me to get bored with the Switch…hopefully MUCH longer than usual.
I finally received my Sephora VIB sale goodies in the mail yesterday, so now I can post about my haul! Going into the sale, I already had some thoughts about what I wanted to buy, but I strayed somewhat from that list for various reasons.
The Sephora store closest to me is fairly small and doesn’t carry absolutely everything, so I split my haul into two phases. On the first day of the 20% off sale, I went to my local Sephora and bought a few items there…then a couple days later I ordered a few more things online.
I went to NYC last Saturday through this Tuesday, and when I got back to DC my November Play! by Sephora box was waiting for me. What a fun welcome home! This month’s theme is “Survival of the Chillest,” so Sephora sent a collection of samples intended to help you treat yourself and practice self-care before the full force of holiday season hits. The “It’s Me O’Clock” sack containing this month’s samples was so cute that I had to photograph it with a couple of my crystals, which felt appropriate for November’s theme: