I’ve been invited by Sam of A Melanoma Journey and more recently by Teri of Coconuts and Pearls to participate in the Liebster Awards (thank you, Sam and Teri!). First: an introduction to the Liebster Award: the Liebster Award is a chain award created by bloggers and passed on from one blogger to another to encourage connections. It is a wonderful, fun way to interact and make friends in the blogging community. These are the rules:
1. Thank and link the person who nominated you.
2. Answer the questions given by the nominator.
3. Nominate 11 other bloggers, who have less than 200 followers and link them.
4. Create 11 new questions for the nominees to answer.
5. Notify all nominees via social media/blogs.
For this award, I have chosen the following bloggers who, like me, post about a range of topics.
I nominate the following bloggers:
5. I Love Boxes
10. Jenni Raincloud
11. My Green Nook
Now, for my answers to the 11 questions posed to me:
1. What inspired you to go environmentally friendly, non-toxic with your beauty routine? I was diagnosed with Crohn’s Disease (a chronic inflammatory bowel disease) late last year, and that spurred me to take a closer look at the things I’m putting on my body every day. Obviously diet has an impact on health, but when we also regularly use products with all kinda of chemicals in them we’re doing our bodies a disservice. I thought it was high time that I started phasing less toxic products into my daily routine. It’s a work in progress, but I’m learning a lot as I go!
2. What is your go-to safe brand? I’m new to all of this so I can’t really say I have a go-to safe brand just yet. But two brands that I’m looking forward to trying more of are Coola and Naples Soap Company.
3. What brand were you surprised to find out isn’t as EWG/non-toxic friendly as they led you to believe? Yes to Cucumbers. The facial wipes are mostly low hazard ingredients except for the fragrance, which is high hazard (with fair data). File that under Good To Know!
4. What is your favorite book? Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi. It’s the story of the Charles Manson family murders as told by the prosecutor for the case.
5. What is your favorite meal to cook? Pasta! I don’t have a specific favorite pasta dish, but I love that the potential variations are infinite…plus, it’s easy.
6. What 3 products/ideas changed your 2014? This is a tough question! I think StitchFix is the first one; it’s a apparel subscription box with five items selected for you, by a stylist, based on the style profile you’ve filled out on the website. The items I’ve kept have led me to dress more like a grown-up—and it’s about time! The second thing is NYC’s composting program that launched in my neighborhood last spring. It has really put me more in tune with the sheer amount of compostable waste that just two people can produce and I’m thrilled for the opportunity to participate. The third? Pitch Perfect! I love me some song-and-dance, and I was late to the party* (as per usual) on seeing this movie. I bought the soundtrack and it’s pretty much the only album I’ve listened to since (I’m not exaggerating). I cannot wait for the sequel!
7. What is your favorite TED talk? Not that I’ve watched a ton of these, but I have to go with Susan Cain’s TED talk about the power of introverts. It’s about goddamn time others stopped undervaluing the way we are and trying to convert us into people that we’re not.
8. What is your favorite cookbook? Pinterest! 😉
9. What is your current favorite blog? I recently discovered Cupcakes & Cashmere (see above re: Party, Late to the) and am totally into it.
10. What is your current favorite quote? I can’t claim to be an aficionado of inspirational quotes, which is what I imagine this question is asking for. Instead, here’s one of my favorites lines from Supernatural—it’s classic, vintage Dean.
11. What song can you not get enough of right now? Despite my answer to question #6, I’m not much of a music person, so I’m gonna go with the theme song for Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. It’s empowering and super catchy to boot! _________________________________________________________________________________ My questions for the tagged bloggers:
1. If you could only watch one TV show on repeat for the rest of your life, which one would it be?
2. What is your “holy grail” beauty or skin care product and why?
3. What is your favorite TV show or movie that’s based on a book?
4. What’s your current favorite blog?
5. What inspired you to start your own blog?
6. What’s your guilty pleasure?
7. What is the best product you’ve recently discovered?
8. What’s your beverage (alcoholic or non) of choice?
9. What is your favorite beauty tip?
10. What are your top three dream travel destinations?
11. What’s your favorite smartphone app?
I hope you’ve enjoyed this post. Nominate away, bloggers!
*Ironically enough, when it comes to actually showing up to places, I’m ALWAYS early. Like, pathologically so.