1. Yayoi Kusama Infinity Mirrors: when I visited the Hirshhorn Musem to see the Orchids: A Moment exhibit I witnessed the insane lines for walk-up passes to the infinity mirrors exhibit, so I decided to start trying online for timed passes. Each Monday the museum releases free timed passes for the following week; I struck out on my first two Mondays, but the third time was the charm! I managed to snag three passes for last Friday, which coincided with a visit from my mom. So my husband, my mom, and I got to see this exhibit, and guys…it is so cool! There’s a lot of line waiting to get into the rooms—there are six of them and you only get 20-30 seconds inside each—but the museum has plenty of Kusama’s other work on display that you can wander around and view as well. The longest wait to enter a room was about 30 minutes, and the shortest was about five. It’s hard to say what my favorite part of the exhibit was, but I’ll go with the Love Forever peep show, pictured below. I highly recommend checking this exhibit out if you can (it runs through May 14)!
Remember when I got really excited about tarte cosmetics’ huge friends and family 30% off sale? I received my box of goodies within a few days of ordering and have been playing around with most of the products so I can tell you about them here. First things first: my order came packaged with unicorn-printed tissue paper that I’m totally keeping so I can re-use it in my niece’s birthday present!
1. Crumbs & Whiskers: last Friday I visited DC’s cat cafe, located in beautiful Georgetown. I made a reservation in advance online, which I highly recommend doing—several walk-ins stopped by during my session and were turned away because the place was at capacity. I spent $18 for 75 minutes of hangout time with the kitties (all of whom are up for adoption) and enjoyed my session there. When you arrive you can order coffee, tea, macarons, and other goodies and they’ll have them delivered from a nearby cafe. Then you get to play with and pet the cats! Last week they had 20 cats in residence, so it was a pretty full house. I was in love with this stunning Siamese guy Sammie, who literally just chilled in a furry chair the entire time. Crumbs & Whiskers is a must-visit for cat lovers!
I’ve written about cool-girl beauty brand Glossier in the past and have been enjoying the Moisturizing Moon Mask and Milky Jelly Cleanser. So when the brand debuted its Cloud Paint gel-cream blush in early March, I knew immediately that I had to have it…along with some other things, of course. I placed an order right after receiving the email announcing Cloud Paint, and I’ve been playing around with these products for the past several weeks!
1. Kogod Courtyard: last Saturday my husband and I did a date night downtown. We started off by visiting the National Portrait Gallery, then had a drink at Dirty Habit and dinner at The Smith (both of which were great, BTW). The museum was wonderful and I want to go back to explore more, but my favorite part was this unbelievable courtyard topped with a wavy glass and steel ceiling! The room reminded me of the DUC (Dobbs University Center) at Emory, which is a building constructed around a historic building at the center of campus. This beautiful courtyard had a very peaceful vibe…I must return.
1. Toyota RAV4 Hybrid: that’s right, we got a car!! DC is a lot more car-friendly than NYC, and we want the ability to easily explore outside the city on weekends. So last week we signed a lease on this brand new silver RAV4 hybrid! I haven’t had a car in more than fifteen years, so this is nerve-racking but also exciting. I very rarely drove in NYC and am I’m still freaked out about driving around a dense city by myself, but I’ll get used to it in time.
I guess this has been going on for a few days already, but I just became aware that Tarte Cosmetics is holding a huge 30% off friends & family sale on just about everything on their website! The sale only runs through 11:59pm EST today (Thursday, April 6) so now is the time to stock up.
All you have to do to get the discount is enter the promo code FESTIVAL at checkout. Plus, shipping is free when you order at least $40 worth of paraben-free, cruelty-free products. BTW, I promise this post is 100% not sponsored…I just got really excited about the sale because it is SO GOOD. 🙂 It’s not often that a beauty brand offers such a big ass sale.
The brand is leaning super hard into the current unicorn-magical-festival-fairy trend, so if you’re into the whole mystical desert nymph look, this is the perfect sale for you.
I just ordered a bunch of goodies for myself, so you can bet on seeing a future post about them! Woohoo!
1. Orchids in DC: last Friday I visited the Hirshhorn Museum to see their orchid exhibit, then headed to the U.S. Botanic Garden to peek at their orchid collection. If you’re new to reading this blog, you may not know this about me: I love orchids so much that I have a whole separate blog dedicated to them (and it pre-dates this blog by several years)! I saw so many gorgeous orchids that day, but one of my favorites was this pretty pink Calanthe vestita. You can check out my blog post if you want to see more orchid pics from my visit.